Sunday, November 15, 2009

Racing Day

The ladies from Holly Springs!


November 9th was Racing Day in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, which is 4 hours from Holly Springs, NC. You would have never known it, because the ladies of Holly Springs came to race. It was an amazing day. Perfect weather, beautiful course, friendly faces I truly could not have asked for a better experience. I felt FABULOUS throughout the race...it was hard towards the end and I had no idea how I was doing for time (my Garmin watch locked up on me at the starting line). James and the girls surprised me around mile 7 and that was a huge lift. The bridge was tough and I had to walk a bit up it, but that was the only time. The finish line was tucked away and I could not see it until I rounded a few corners.

Once I saw that I put every ounce of me into those final steps. There really is no other feeling quite like it...using every last ounce of your being, digging deeper inside yourself that you ever thought you could and giving it everything you've got. I was tired, I was weak, but damn I felt good. I did it. I did not give up, I did not give in. There were so many times that family, friends and doctors said "you need to rethink this", "you need to set a different goal", "are you really sure you want to do this?" They meant well...they were thinking of me physically, but I was thinking of me mentally. This experience is now in my emotional bank. I can withdraw from this anytime and the account will not dwindle. I struggled with why for so long. Why am I doing this? Why do I push myself? This is why...because I can.

"With each step you take you are farther from your starting point, closer to your goal and stronger than you were a moment ago"

1 comment:

  1. I knew you could do it! Congratulations! You can do anything you set your mind to. I cannot wait until Sophia is sleeping better so I can tie up my running shoes once again.

    ReplyDelete